Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vacation, Part the Fourth

There is a particular trail we like to go on while we are in the Smokies. It is mostly driving, but it also has walking trails and historic buildings throughout the drive.


This is a beautiful church building to me. It says, "I am a church, not an office building." There is nothing wrong with modern buildings, but I like the simple ones.
Of course, I prefer heated ones. :)


There was a neat old Bible on the pulpit. I tried to wait my turn, but the people looking at it were not realizing there were other people in the room that also wanted to see it (even though I was standing right there). I think these are the same people who never know when it's their turn at a four-way stop when they drive. :)


Every church should have a graveyard. They just go together.



We love walking through graveyards. It was something we did during our engagement. They are melancholy, respectful and historical all rolled-up together.


The person below was in the Revolutionary War!


Married couple.


Mountains!

These were very, very neat! You could see such detail! They were so soft, too.



Unidentified person.


They had a fox, bear, coyote, skunk, and a few others I can't think of right now.


The peanut (Victoria). She was carried in this thing. She happily waved and said "hello" to every person that passed us.


This old barn reminded me of Fisk and the loft we always had to be careful walking on for fear we would fall through the holes.

Another old animal building.


2 comments:

  1. So you found Abbott's gravestone... where is Costello's?

    -Meriadoc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you touched a fox pelt. I would not get less than three feet from a fur that had the eyes, nose, and teeth still in it.

    I agree with you on the church thing. Here in England, all the beautiful centuries-old churches are being turned into HOUSES! The shame of it! (A sign that churches are less and less useful for the 'atheistizing' of Britain.) I, too, prefer churches that look like churches.
    There is literally a church in every hamlet in this country. I wish they'd stay churches.

    That looks like a fun carrier you wear for Victoria.

    Much love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete