Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"From Every Stormy Wind That Blows..."

The crazy storms have left their mark. A few weeks prior, we lost a tree to the violent winds that came up our hill. Then, the storm with 60 MPH winds, took out another tree and our garage door.

The storm had finally abated. I gathered my little chicks to pile them in the car (which was parked in the garage) to meet Jason at the tree nursery. After buckling them in, I looked at the inside of the gargage door. It was sticking inward! I stood there a few minutes to register that my garage door had blown inward, then unbuckled my chicks and brought them back inside. I would not be able to open the door. I called Jason (who was by now at the nursery) and non-chalantly mentioned the situation. My dad (who lives next door) saw what happened and came over. Together, we managed to open the door. The door was not happy; it was a mess, but I had to get my car out.


We have sinced replaced the door (wow, are they expensive!) with a stronger one. The pictures didn't quite capture the extent of damage, but it will give you an idea. Moral of the story: If you ever build a house on the hill that faces due west, get a strong garage door.



This is after my dad and I got the car out and put the door back down.




You can see the line on the cement where the door would normally be. Apparently this door does not have a hurricane-approved status.




No comments:

Post a Comment